If you are interested in joining the Brisbane Bushwalkers Club, then you need to complete the following steps:
1. Please register online before attending your first meeting
- Follow the link to the registration page and complete the online registration process. You will need a working, valid email address to complete the online registration process.
- Once you have completed the registration process, please print the application form and bring it along to a club meeting.
- Please note - your online registration will not be activated until you have attended a club meeting with your registration form.
2. Attend a Club Meeting
- The club meets on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month at 7.30pm at the Newmarket Memorial Hall, corner of Enoggera Road and Ashgrove Avenue, Newmarket. (Note, because of Christmas, there is no meeting on the 4th Wednesday in December.) [Google Map]. Suggested parking in the underground car park of the shopping centre on the other side of the road and please not in the Dominos car park next door.
- It is a club requirement that you attend a club meeting to join the club and it is not possible to join / pay your joining fees online. You will need to receive the New Members briefing in person at a meeting.
- The membership officer will conduct a short briefing session usually starting at 7.30pm about bushwalking and the club. This is a chance to have questions answered. If you wish to join, the membership officer will sign your application form after the briefing.
- Membership fees are $40 per year. Please bring cash or a cheque - no credit or debit cards accepted. You will receive a Members Handbook.
- The club meeting usually starts when the New Members Briefing has finished. Often there is a presentation or guest speaker, followed by supper.
3. Nominate for walks
- Within a couple of days of paying your fees (quite often on the same night), your website access will be updated to enable you to nominate online for club activities.
- Ideally, your first walk should be a New Members Walk, which BBW refers to as MinIMaxS walks (Minimal Impact Maximum Safety). This is an induction day, generally an easy walk, designed to be an introduction to bushwalking and BBW. A number of topics are covered including safety, what to take, the BBW grading system, bushwalking ethics, dealing with emergencies, etc. Experienced bushwalkers/hikers new to the club are asked to share your experience and knowledge with brand new walkers. Most MinIMaxS walks finish not long after lunch.
- Information about walks is in the Club magazine and on the website. It is important to choose walks within your fitness, skill and experience level.
- Nomination for walks may be online, or by contacting the leader by email or phone. It is the leader's decision as to whether a nomination is accepted. Leaders plan and manage their walks for the enjoyment of all participants and in some cases may need to verify a person's fitness/ability by checking a person's walk history and/or talking to other leaders. Note that Leaders are volunteers, and run activities on behalf of the club because they enjoy sharing their bushwalking experiences with other like-minded people.
4. Go walking
- Meeting places and starting times for walks are listed on the website
- Equipment to be taken and suggestions for suitable clothing for bushwalking can be found at the Equipment page
- The Club has a designated Contact Officer. If there is a problem or a delay returning to Brisbane the leader will endeavour to make contact with the Contact Officer. Walk participants should ensure any relatives or friends who would be awaiting their return have the phone number of the Contact Officer. If concerned they can call the Contact Officer for information or to report that the person has not returned.
5. Full Membership (Ordinary Membership)
- After completing a MinIMaxS walk and 4 other walks, you may apply for full membership. Most new members achieve this within 6 months of joining. The club does not impose a time limit - the probationary membership may be renewed as many times as necessary.
- The New Members introduction/induction walks - ie MinIMaxS walks are held regularly.
- Ordinary members pay a yearly subscription. They are entitled to vote, to stand for committee positions, and to put themselves forward as walk leaders.